Apr 17, 2012

goat cheese drop biscuits


Most of the time on Saturday or Sunday I wake up craving biscuits and eggs. There is something about slowly waking up on your own, without an alarm, and wanting a good hearty home made breakfast that just makes you feel all fuzzy inside.

Since my days to sleep in past 7:30am are far and few between I think about biscuits and eggs a lot less.


After class Saturday morning I was dying for biscuits. I decided it was time to try a recipe that had been sitting in my binder for far too long. Goat cheese drop biscuits. And guess what? I had an unopened pack of goat cheese just screaming to be digested in someone's stomach... in biscuit form of course.


Goat Cheese Drop Biscuits
a marriage between Joy The Baker and Art Smith

yields 9 Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 cups of all-purpose flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes (I cut this into cubes and stick in the freezer while I measure out the other ingredients)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for your skillet
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, for the top of your biscuits
4 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese 
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, and place your rack in the upper third. Take your cast iron skillet, I didn't have a 10in so I just used my 12in, no big deal, and place it in the oven to preheat.

2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender, two forks, or your fingers blend the butter and goat cheese into the flour mixture until it is a pebbly mixture. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk. With a fork, mix together the ingredients until all of the dry spots disappear.

3. Remove your skillet from the oven and place the tablespoon of butter and move around to cover the entire surface of the skillet. Drop biscuits by 1/4 cup fulls into the skillet. If they touch it is okay.

4. Brush with two tablespoons of melted butter and bake for 14-16 minutes. When they come out of the oven let them rest for a quick few.

Serve with lovely jam or butter. I used strawberry/raspberry jam and it was the perfect combination! 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers