Apr 24, 2012

So. Here I go again taking another hiatus. So many things have been happening lately it's hard to have the time to sit down and document my culinary adventures. It's going to get even harder to do so when I start my three day a week class for a month. Now three days a week doesn't seem like much but when you work 40 hours a week plus freelance... m/t/w 5:30-9:55 can be a lot. I am going to have to meal plan like crazy because there is no time to go home and eat dinner before class which means bringing double the amount of food to work!

I am trying to devise a plan to cook a few meals on Sundays, enough for three days... which doesn't seem like a lot, but I am trying to eat a lot healthier. Cut down on some carbs, fats, sodium, calories... that whole bit. I mean it's almost summer and I plan on being on the lake a lot so it's time to kick it into high gear and get that beach bod I've always dreamed of.

I started mission beach bod yesterday. My mother lent me her Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 dvd, plus I am still going to be doing my regular work outs: yoga 3-4 days a week, zumba once a week, rollerblading 2-3 times a week. This means two-a-days! So as you can see all of the above mentioned, work, freelance, class, and two-a-day work outs?! I think I might be insane. Let's hope I don't push myself too far! And luckily for me the gym is right across the street from my work, lunch time is always utilized.



The first meal I decided to make for my healthier diet were these quick and easy chicken flautas from spoon fork bacon.

I swapped regular sour cream for lite sour cream, and didn't use any extra after the flautas were baked. I also swapped white flour tortillas for a honey wheat tortilla. This gave the flautas an extra bit of sweetness that was just absolutely delicious. I highly recommend using an ear of corn for this and not canned corn. By using canned corn you are adding extra calories and sodium that you don't really need.

Next time I make these I will most likely add a couple more veggies in here like bell pepper, maybe some black beans. I enjoyed them as they are but I love packing in more veggies where ever I can.

I had 2 of these for dinner plus a 60 calorie cup of dark hot chocolate from my keruig.

Wait for these to cool a lot before you start eating them, I kind of burnt my tongue... okay not just kind of, I really burnt my tongue!


Makes 6

Ingredients:
filling:
2 cups roasted chicken, shredded or chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 ear yellow corn, kernels and milk removed from husk
1/3 cup prepared salsa
2 tablespoons lite sour cream
2 ounces Mexican Blend cheese
salt and pepper to taste

6, 8 inch whole wheat tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Shred or chop chicken and place into a medium sized bowl and set aside. Make sure your bowl is big enough to mix all of the ingredients in.
3. Pour oil into a medium sauté pan and place over medium-high heat.
4. Saute onion, and corn for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Pour onion mixture over chicken and toss together. Add remaining filling ingredients to chicken and onion mixture and stir together until mixed together. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place a heaping 1/3 cup of the filling into one of the tortillas and spread into a log.
7. Tightly roll tortilla and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
8. Repeat until all of the tortillas and filling have been used.
9. Bake flautas for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tortillas have crisped up and turned golden brown. Slice each in half and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers