Feb 17, 2012

makin' banana pancakes and spice racks


Two things... spice racks, and pancakes.

These are not just any pancakes, and this isn't just any spice rack. They are special. Partly because I made them, partly because one is delicious and the other is adorable.

The spice rack DIY will be coming soon, up there is a sneak peak of what a little chalk board paint, love, and stick of calk will get you.

For now... let's chat about pancakes... banana cinnamon goodness.... and my obsession with little tiny bowls.

Look at all of those tiny bowls holding spices, getting all ready to mix together. There is an egg drowning in that butter milk in case you were wondering (cracked of course).

I'm not sure where my obsession with tiny bowls came from, but I'm pretty sure it dates back to one of my first shopping experiences at bed, bath, and beyond. I never knew exactly what their purpose was, they seemed meaningless and a waste of money. In the present day I want to go back in time and tell myself how I use them almost everyday. I use them so often because I'm a freak and I like to pre measure everything out before it gets mixed together. I hate stopping in the middle of making a cake and forgetting if I really did put 3 cups of flour in, or if it was more or less. This helps me get organized and ultimately bake/cook faster and more efficiently.

Who really doesn't like being efficient?


Who really doesn't like bananas or cinnamon? You so cray if you don't. Yes I just referenced a Kanye/Jay z song. That will probably never happen again, who am I kidding... cray is becoming part of my daily vocab.

Enough about referencing rap songs. One of my favorite parts about banana cinnamon pancakes are the slices of banana getting all mushy, warm, and semi caramelized. The smell from the pan is also amazing. Warm bananas are the best.


So enough talk. Let's get down to business.

Cinnamon Banana Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

yields 8 4" pancakes....?

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
1 egg beaten
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
4 melted tablespoons of unsalted butter
as much cinnamon as you want
as many banana slices as your pancake sizes call for

1. Get your butter all melty in a sauce pan. Don't let it brown, just melt it all down.
2. Beat together the buttermilk and egg in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
4. Whisk in buttermilk & egg mixture... don't whisk too much!! You want your batter to be semi lumpy.
5. Quickly whisk in butter.. again... we want lumps!
6. Heat your pan to medium and pour your first bit of batter in the pan, then line with banana slices. Flip your pancake when it is gold brown on one side. When it is golden brown on the other side... start another! Make sure you check that those little banana slices don't get burnt.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers