Jan 14, 2012

new year, new yumminess


My resolution for this great year of 2012 is to bake more and eat less of it, make it all the way through a round of P90x, and worry less about things that need to get done. Sometimes I think I tend to make up tasks in order to fill my time. None of that this year. I'm going to start listening to this list of 50 things to stop doing forever and hope that it makes me happy and a more tolerable person to be around.
I promise myself that I will sew, be more crafty, and get more organized. I have been using apartment therapy as inspiration for organizing small studio spaces. I am absolutely obsessed with drawers, baskets, labeling, and building upward to save space. Not that I have a tiny space myself, but I am ready to pretend I do just to get rid of unnecessary items that I hold onto.
I've started the organizing process already in my kitchen cabinets. Martha Stewart containers (from macy's) with a couple coats of chalkboard paint can really turn an unorganized mess into a beautiful display of ingredients! Next on the list is my spice cabinet, and clothes closet. Yikes!

Now that my baking ingredients are all beautiful and organized I can make creations easier, like these cute cinnamon graham crackers.
For some reason in my mind making graham crackers seemed like it would be a ridiculous and tedious process. I was totally wrong. The baking time on these are so fast you might as well stand next to your oven so they don't burn.

After making these cuties into rectangle/square shapes I had a thought of making them all different shapes! Hearts for valentine's day, circles just because, triangles because we can! At least I used my pastry wheel to make fluted edges and a sprinkle of sugar on top just because.

Cinnamon Graham Crackers

Ingredients:

4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 egg, well beaten
6 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups graham flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the butter, egg and sugar in a medium bowl (I used a hand mixer), and beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in the honey and blend.

Dissolve the baking soda in the water and stir into the butter mixture. Add the salt, graham flour, all purpose flour, and cinnamon to the mixture and blend thoroughly. I would use a spoon to mix the dry and wet ingredients together. I used the hand mixer and it didn't seem to work as well. Your dough should hold together but isn't going to be very wet.

Dust a surface with graham flour and roll the dough until about 1/8 inch. Use a pastry wheel, cookie cutter, or any other cutting device! I cut mine into rectangle/square shapes.

Using a spatula or dough scraper, place the crackers onto prepared baking sheets. Poke with a fork or chopstick and then sprinkle with a small amount of sugar.

Depending on your oven bake on for 3-5 minutes on each side. I have a hot oven so 4 minutes on the first side and then 3 minutes on the other side seemed to work just fine for me. I made sure I baked a small batch first to test out the baking time.

Place on a cooling rack when they come out of the oven and let rest. They will still be soft at first and when they cool the crackers will be graham cracker crispy.

Enjoy these crackers with a cup of tea, or coffee, or a spread of nutella. The snow is falling outside people (finally) so stay inside and enjoy watching the pretty fluff fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers