Nov 23, 2011

apple pie, lattice style


It has been a while. I know this because I've been trying to come up with something to say, something to show you. Nothing has been spectacular, and I haven't been over the moon about anything new. All that has been happening to me are random occurrences where I run into people wearing no makeup on Saturday mornings at the market after spin class. I'm sweaty, bundled up (it's so cold in michigan already!), and wearing no makeup. It just isn't a pretty site.

Now that thanksgiving is upon us… less than 24 hours away! I thought maybe I'd post this beautiful apple pie that I practiced this past weekend and remade today.

I contemplated in my brain for hours about doing lattice, traditional, or cut shapes for the top crust. I weighed all of the pro's and con's. I finally came to the conclusion that for the test pie I would do a lattice top. And my reasoning is because it is the prettiest way to top off an apple pie. Maybe the beautiful lattice will make the pie actually taste better? I'm not sure, but it worked.


So let's chat about the "thanks" part of THANKSgiving.

I have to say that I am thankful for my family the most.

As you start to reach your mid young adult years you start to realize just how important your family is. Maybe you are still embarrassed by your parents like you were when you were a teenager, but at this point you have the understanding that you need to accept them for who they are, just like they accept you.

I am thankful that my parents accept me for the person I am, and am becoming. I am thankful that they helped me get through life thus far and the many more times they will help me out in the future. I am thankful for my dad's "words of wisdom," his lectures, and mostly his infamous "quotes." I am thankful for my mom and all of the ways that she completes my life. I rely on her more than I ever want to admit, but she is always there for me.

Finally, I am thankful for my brother. He may not understand why I love him so much until he gets older, but I do. I LOVE YOU BABY BROTHER. I said it.. yes I did. I will continue to give him hugs when I see him and won't hesitate to tell him that I love him. Siblings are important and I hope as we get older, we grow closer.

I guess super finally, I am thankful to have a relationship with God. It is a mighty thing to have belief in someone so mighty, so all-knowing, and powerful. I am completely taken care of in every aspect because of Him and I am so thankful for that.

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving/ Holiday season?

And now pie.


If you like cinnamon this pie will rock your socks.

adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook

CRUST
Has to sit in the fridge for minimum of 1 hour, maximum of 2 days. I make this the night before and let it sit.

2 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of ice cold water*

1. Whisk flour, sugar, and salt together.
2. If you don't have a pastry blender cut butter into small chunks and use two forks to mix in with flour. Or use your hands to incorporate ingredients. The mixture should be the size of little peas when done.
3. Mix in 1/2 cup of ice water *I put ice in a cup with water and pour out 1/2 a cup when needed*.
4. divide dough into two pieces and flatten into a small disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for up to 2 days.

FILLING
2 Granny Smiths
3 Honey Crisps
3 Fujis
small squeeze of lemon juice (to keep the apples from browning)
1/4 teaspoon salt
scant 3/4 cups granulated sugar
scant 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons of All-Purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 egg white beaten lightly

1. Adjust oven rack to your lowest position and preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. Take out one of your disks of dough and let stand for a moment at room temperature. On a floured surface roll out your dough until 12" in diameter. Transfer dough to pie dish by carefully folding into fourths or rolling the dough up on your rolling pin.
3. Place dough in pie dish and carefully unfold your dough and form to pie dish.
4. Peel, core and slice apples into fourths or eighths (fourths will give you a crispier apple). I like to prepare my apples in the following order: Granny Smiths (most tart, won't brown as fast), Honey Crisps, and Fujis (these will brown the fastest!). Place apples in large bowl and toss with a small squeeze of a lemon juice.
5. In a medium bowl mix salt, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg together. Toss dry ingredients with apples until the apples are well coated.
6. Pour apple mixture into pie dish.
7. Roll out your second piece of dough and then make the decision of what top you want. For a lattice cut strips of dough using a pastry wheel (if you want cute curvy edges). Or cut out little shapes and place in a circular pattern until the top is covered. Or lastly do a traditional top with a few slits on top. Trim edges of crust and fold top underneath the bottom and press with a fork to seal. Brush egg white on top and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Place pie in oven and lower temperature to 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Rotate your pie and reduce temperature to 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until juices are bubbling and crust is a deep golden brown.
9. Transfer pie to wire rack and let sit for at least 4 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers