Oct 24, 2011

creamy & roasted tomato basil soup


This weekend was full of pumpkin carving, the farmer's market, and making a lot of soup.

The farmer's market was buzzing, as always. There were so many tomatoes I didn't know what to do! Well obviously I found something to do... I made tomato basil soup. Duh!

Also this weekend was the perfect fall weather. I was able to wear my favorite fall outfit: skinny jeans, brown leather boots, and a comfy sweater. And we happened to carve pumpkins outside on my picnic table. The sun was shining... not a cloud in the sky, and squirrels were tormenting my cat. Perfect. Fall. Weather

Now let's move on.. Tomato. Basil. Soup.

This soup is packed full of veggies, and herbs. SO MUCH BASIL. I love it. It is SO hard to find 2 cups of basil this time of year. Luckily one of the markets I frequent had plenty of greenhouse grown basil, I was so lucky.

I also love the fresh thyme in this recipe. All I had was "thyme" this weekend. Wow what a cheesy joke, I'm full of 'em, what can I say?


This soup was perfectly paired with some brioche that I picked up at the market. I have a bad obsession with brioche bread. It goes good with everything and I could eat it everyday? Do you agree? Well if you do we just became life long friends.

Roasted & Creamy Tomato Basil Soup


1 1/2 lbs roma tomatoes (sliced lengthwise)
3 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion (diced) (I used two small sweet onions)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (minced)
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups basil leaves (roughly chopped)
2 tablespoons dried basil (I actually left this out because I ran out)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups low sodium chicken broth (I used no salt added)
salt & pepper to taste
2/3 cups heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Put those roma tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil, season with salt & pepper and stick them in the oven for about an hour.
3. Melt butter in a large pot on medium high.
4. Add your onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Add garlic & thyme. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
6. Add crushed tomatoes, basils, & sugar. Also salt and pepper to taste.
7. Stir and reduce heat to medium/medium low. Simmer for 10 minutes covered.
8. Pour broth & roasted tomatoes in pot. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
10. Pour soup in blender and blend until smooth.
11. Put the soup back in the pot on low. Add cream and slowly incorporate.
12. Simmer for another 3 minutes.

13. SERVE IT UP!

Give it goat cheese,
Give it basil on top,
Give it grilled cheese,
Just give it a friend!
& a pretty bowl!

Enjoy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers