Sep 22, 2011

Turkey Burgers & Coffee & Amazing news!


Should we start with the good news, the bad news, or the delicious news first? Hm! Well, let's start with the bad news first.

The bad news... Coffee makes me a crazy lady. Like so crazy that it should be illegal for me to drink it. I start to shake, jump around, and talk extremely loud. So needless to say, yesterday was a crazy day. I drank an entire cup of strong black coffee and then could not sleep during the night. I tossed. I turned. I dreamt of weird things like going back to high school.

So the bad news, I once again... am back to drinking decaf.

Now for the good news!

Have you heard of What's Cooking Detroit? You haven't? That is just a shame!

Well on 9/24-9/25 there is a fabulous festival going on at the Palace of Auburn Hills for foodies like me, and you, and you, and you! AND The best news is... my favorite 5 Ingredient Fix gal, Claire Robinson, will be doing a cooking demo on Sunday! AND guess who has VIP & meet and greet tickets? This girl does!

So look out next week for wonderful pictures of delicious wine, food, and cooking demos from local chefs and a couple of food network stars. Also look out for a picture of me with one of my favorite stars :) Let's hope she signs my cook book!

Now for the delicious news!

Turkey burgers!! Healthy-er, delicious-er (I think), and just absolutely wonderful-er than a beef patty.. sometime. Did you think I was just going to say wonderful-er and leave it at that? No way! Sometimes you need beef, and sometimes you need turkey. Last night, I needed Turkey.




Turkey Burgers (makes 4!)

1lb of ground turkey (I used breast meat)
1/4 tsp + a pinch of pepper
1/2 tsp + a pinch of garlic
1/2 tsp + a pinch of chili powder
1/4 cup of sweet bbq sauce of your choice (more or less depending on what you like)
4 whole wheat buns buttered

cheese, lettuce, onion! Or any toppings you want really.

**A sprinkle of salt at the end as well. And only at the end because adding salt prior to grilling will suck out the moisture while they are on the grill! Since we are already using a "dryer" meat it is important to maintain as much moisture as possible.**

1. Mix meat with all of the above spices, and form int0 4 quarter pound patties.
2. Sprinkle with a bit of extra pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder (just a little bit!)
3. Grill em' up! (about 5 minutes a side at most... depending on their thickness) When you flip your burgers for the first time brush on some bbq sauce. And when you flip again, brush again before adding cheese.
4. When your burgers get super close to being done and it is time to melt the cheese on top but your buttered buns on the top rack of the grill and watch them closely.
5. Add your condiments, your salt, and whatever side dishes you decided to make.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers